Now that IE has added a second partnership program to help IE students fund their degree programs, we’ve started to receive questions from interested candidates about which program to apply for. Below is our policy and recommended course of action.
Applying: Apply to Caja Madrid or Banca March or both.
- While we recommend you apply first to Caja Madrid, you can apply for a tuition loan from both institutions.
- In fact, by applying for a loan from both simultaneously, you better the chances of accessing a highly attractive loan from either Caja Madrid or Banca March. The documentation is very similar with both programs, so it’s easy to apply for both at the same time.
- Keep in mind that both institutions have at their discretion to approve or deny your application, and that while IE cannot negotiate a loan denial, we can help you make sure your present the best application possible.
- You may prefer to apply to one or the other, but not both. If this is the case, keep the following in mind: if your objective is to minimize interest payments and you can repay quickly, then Caja Madrid is your option; if however your objective is to ease the debt repayment process by paying back over a longer period, Banca March is your option.
- In the end both Caja Madrid and Banca March offer very attractive interest rates (Euribor+1% and Euribor+2% respectively), however the maximum grace period for Caja Madrid is 18 months (versus 24 months for Banca March) and the maximum repayment period for Caja Madrid is 8 years (whereas it you can pay back over up to 10 years with Banca March).
Can I have a loan from both Caja Madrid and Banca March? In short: no.
- While you can apply to both programs, no student is allowed to have a loan from both institutions simultaneously. We allow the double application process so that if one application is denied, we can work quickly to figure out an alternate solution, ideally with the institution which did not deny your application.
- We always remind students that it is their responsibility to make sure they have their financial plan in place and well in advance of their program start date, but in exchange we do all we can from Madrid to make the process easier.